At The Gate we believe that in order to grow you have to give. We have a huge passion for our environment, health, community and supporting charities. Specifically, we have connected with a cause that is close to our hearts and are working alongside various charities which support Autism.
It’s not a question of donating funds (though that of course has its place). We fully embrace these partnerships by connecting it with our prime passion, which remains food (see our project on teaching pasta making). Moreover, we’re close to realising our goal of gaining an accreditation to welcome people affected by Autism to the restaurant and enabling them to feel accepted.
Accreditation is not a badge for us to wave about; The Gate wishes to blaze a trail for other restaurants across the world by us all allowing people affected by Autism to integrate more freely in society without feeling stigmatised. Ambitious, we know.
We know it feels good to be part of the bigger picture and we want you to feel like you’re contributing by either working with us or visiting as a customer.
Here are just some of the things we are putting into practice:
– Over 25 years of promoting Vegetarian/ vegan food
– We cater Fairtrade sugar and tea
– Wide range of organic products
– Natural, organic, bio dynamic, vegetarian and vegan wine choice
– Local/ regional suppliers – we are working with our suppliers at sourcing products within a 50-70 mile radius and our target is to have as many locally sourced food and drink products as possible
Recycling- minimising environmental impact
– Coffee grounds
– Best vegetarian restaurant in the world as voted for in Epicurious.com
– 3 star award with SRA
– Most improved restaurant with SRA
– Local registered charity for Autism and Ambitious about Autism
“I just wanted to say thank you so much for everyone’s hard work in the run up to last night and at the event last night, you have all been fantastic and the evening was amazing. I still can’t believe how much was raised and I’m also really pleased that all the guests had a really nice night. The food was also amazing as expected!
Thank you again for your help, support and passion for Ambitious about Autism”
– Support with local primary schools in Hammersmith with raising money through raffles
– Support various projects in the university in Islington, most recent with media students production on healthy eating and vegetarians
– We are trying to support as many independent companies as possible
– Mayor of London’s Initiative “Food Save” measuring quantities of waste and ways this can be reduced
– Qualification- we offer work placement NVQs to both front and back of house
– Free English classes to all staff at different levels
– Regular Staff away days
– Encourage the employees to use other skills to support their future (i.e. we’ve supported employees studying photography, media, marketing, charity by bringing their education into the workplace and giving them key experience they need to succeed in their chosen career path
Charity and The Gate
The Gate Restaurants
The Gate has been associated with Ambitious about Autism since June 2014. We have visited the school, given talks, been to the House of Commons as a representative and held an event last year that raised £10,000. This year we want to create a legacy that can give back to the school, so we are helping with the development of the Chocolate Factory.
The NAS are helping organisations become ‘Autism Friendly’, with their accredtaiton award. We have been working with The NAS and Ambitious about Autism to be the first ‘Autism Friendly’ restaurant. This project should be complete by June 2016 and we hope other restaurants follow.
Chocolate Social enterprise Objective 2016 with Ambitious about Autism
Chocolate made by young adults on the autism spectrum at Ambitious college to be sold and all profits go back into the progression of the business.
– To develop skills of young people with autism for future life and job prospects.
– To work with suppliers and companies that appreciate the nature and the scope of the project and support us with good quality products and services.
– To create a simple business model and recipe that can be learned and repeated by the pupils at Ambitious.
– To create something fun with the potential of gaining media attention and celebrity endorsement within the food industry.
Ambitious about Autism was founded as TreeHouse in 1977, It was founded as a specialist school for children with autism, with 5 pupils and based in a borrowed room in the Royal Free Hospital in North London. Since then, Ambitious about Autism has been growing and developing into the national charity that it is today, with a school, college and a third site being built. They have 170 members of staff and 90 pupils
“Friends of Autism”
We are friends of autism and we know how difficult it is to go out to a restaurant if you are autistic. This is why we have created something to help you. We’ve created a guide for you to follow to help you book, get here and order and all the steps you need for your meal out to The Gate.
If you need any help please call the restaurant on
Islington: 020 7278 5483
Or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
We know that we’re not going to get it right first time, so if you have any comments or feedback, please email the address above.